After more than 60 years away from Formula One, Aston Martin is back on the grid for 2021. Based in Northamptonshire, Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One™ Team has almost 500 passionate people at its heart, making a team with both a rich heritage and a fresh perspective – bringing new energy to the sport with a determination to shake up the order and compete at the sharp end.
The Aston Martin era represents the beginning of a new journey for us, but the racer’s attitude and can-do approach remain central pillars in the team’s philosophy. The focus is always on improving performance and delivering results. With fresh investment and energy, the stage is set to build on Aston Martin’s rich history in motorsport and establish Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One™ Team as a competitive force in the years ahead.
To succeed on this mission, the team is looking for talented individuals who share our passion for racing and hunger for competition. It’s a stimulating and rewarding place to work, with pure racing at the core of everything we do. We are building for a strong future and every member of the team will play an important role in our success.
We are a brave and united team who value authenticity, honesty, and are never afraid to question conventions. We embrace these values in ways that reflect our modern world. If you share our racer’s spirit and want to contribute to the next chapter in Aston Martin’s glorious history, please apply and join one of the most exciting projects in Formula One.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Mechanical Engineer in the role of Aero R&D Design Engineer within the Aero R&D department. The successful candidate will be responsible for the mechanical design and development of Aero R&D projects, this role encompasses mechanical and R&D requirements of the Wind Tunnel Model and full-size Aero Testing Equipment. This is a varied and creative role where new ideas and technologies are key to improving performance.
Reporting to the Lead Engineer you will generate ideas, schemes, designs, and developments for the wind tunnel model to improve the performance and efficiency of our wind tunnel test programme and to improve the performance of other associated projects.
· To provide design schemes from concept stage to component design, assemblies, and detail drawings.
· To mechanically engineer designs and problem solve issues arising from Aero R&D projects.
· To design tooling and fixtures required to test and validate designs.
· To propose and manage new projects and developments where possible and relevant.
· Define component and assembly test specifications.
· To provide follow up support on these projects during assembly and testing and development.
· To communicate effectively with other departments.
· To work proactively, responsibly, and professionally.
Skills & Knowledge Required
· Educated to degree level or equivalent in an engineering discipline.
· Previous experience of working in a mechanical design role is expected, preferably in a motorsport environment.
· Excellent working knowledge of Parametric 3D CAD modelling is expected, preferably Catia 3DX.
· Proven ability to create engineering drawings to industry standard BS8888.
· Good understanding of design for manufacture.
· Good understanding of mechanical engineering first principles and hand calculations.
· An understanding of fundamental stress analysis (FE) and material properties.
· Experience of validating designs through physical testing is desirable.
· Ability to demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills.
· Ability to calmly and confidently work under pressure to achieve targets and deliver results within required timescales.
· To have a flexible attitude and ability to work as part of a team in a demanding and changing environment.
· Ability to demonstrate a clear understanding of, and commitment to, Health & Safety.
Hours - Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm 1 hour for lunch. - Additional hours may be required as work dictates.
This job description reflects the major tasks to be carried out by the postholder and identifies the level of responsibility at which the postholder will be required to work. Subject to the discretion of the Company, the postholder will carry out the duties specified above together with such other duties or tasks for the Company as reasonably required.
You may also be required to perform additional duties for the Company from time to time commensurate with your skills and experience.
Aston Martin Formula One Team is committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining the most talented individuals, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion, belief, sex or sexual orientation. We strive to be a Team that reflects all the communities with which we engage around the world through diversity in the workplace and promoting an inclusive culture in which all team members are respected, empowered and valued.