After more than 60 years away from Formula One, Aston Martin is back on the grid for 2021. Based in Northamptonshire, Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One™ Team has almost 500 passionate people at its heart, making a team with both a rich heritage and a fresh perspective – bringing new energy to the sport with a determination to shake up the order and compete at the sharp end.
The Aston Martin era represents the beginning of a new journey for us, but the racer's attitude and can-do approach remain central pillars in the team's philosophy. The focus is always on improving performance and delivering results. With fresh investment and energy, the stage is set to build on Aston Martin's rich history in motorsport and establish Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One™ Team as a competitive force in the years ahead.
To succeed on this mission, the team is looking for talented individuals who share our passion for racing and hunger for competition. It's a stimulating and rewarding place to work, with pure racing at the core of everything we do. We are building for a strong future and every member of the team will play an important role in our success.
We are a brave and united team who value authenticity, honesty, and are never afraid to question conventions. We embrace these values in ways that reflect our modern world. If you share our racer's spirit and want to contribute to the next chapter in Aston Martin's glorious history, please apply and join one of the most exciting projects in Formula One.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Communications Engineer- Trackside
This position will work in conjunction with the existing IT Trackside team and a unique role has been created to join Aston Martin F1 race team as a communication's focused engineer with some IT support responsibilities whose primary focus will part of the core IT Trackside team providing a very high level of IP and radio communications to the F1 race team.
They will be expected to attend ALL F1 races per season going from event to event and be solely responsible for all the communications at track and ensure all equipment is always working within the garage and to the race cars.
The successful candidate will need to have a previous experience in communications (Preferably MRTC / ClearCom systems) and require strong communication skills and the ability to work well under a high pressure and quickly react to issues that occur throughout the race weekend
– Setup and pack down of All radio, Intercom, and IT equipment from event to event throughout the race and test season following detailed checklists and constantly evolving them. This includes taking direction from various key stakeholders within the race and test team
– Ensuring all Intercom equipment is powered, working, charged (radios) on a daily occurrence throughout the race weekend
– Programming of all communication hardware and software including radios, belt packs, intercom panels, virtual panels
– Provide a very high level off support to all the race team including all levels of stakeholders including senior leadership to mechanics.
– Liaising with other key partners in the pitlane to ensure comms to the race team and car is always functional including FIA / FOM / Marelli
– When not carrying out communications support, the successful individual will be expected to provide extra hands-on support with the IT Trackside team which can include:
– Client, server, storage, network, communication, audio/visual & security systems
– Maintenance of documentation
– Maintenance of system backups / restores
– General IT operations, support & delivery duties including fault tracking & resolution management
– Strong troubleshooting skills and look to promote change / improvements to infrastructure both in and out of the busy season, ensuring change control and risk is factored in on all occasions
– Be extremely motivated and help this team strive to be the best IT and comms support team in the pitlane
– Work closely as a team in support of incident and problem management processes
– Contribution to new and on-going systems related projects both at track and in the factory
– Monitoring of systems availability to ensure systems are always up and operational
– Asset control and auditing administration
– General IT administration including budget recommendations and control
– Setup and pack down of ALL intercom and IT equipment including all off the network cabling for each of the areas in the garage and extending office / trucks
– Support / monitoring of all of the MRTC / ClearCom when the system is live after setup and reacting to any issues reported immediately through the race event week
– Maintaining of all communications hardware stock control, asset control and manage freighting duties between air freight and sea freight throughout the season
– Working closely with the MRTC intercom vendor for constant support duties including firmware upgrades / replacement hardware when required
– Liaise with the Magneti Marelli support team in the pitlane to ensure comms to the car is always operational
– Maintaining and supporting change management following ITIL processes
– Assist delivery of new or improved IT system solutions both in the factory and at track when required
– Installation, configuration and administration of operating systems and applications
– Implementation, configuration, and administration of hardware platforms
– Maintaining operations & administration processes
– Attendance and active participation in IT department meetings
– Organisational activities such as team / travel / meetings ensuring effective communication and close working between trackside and factory staff
– Project delivery within budget and ensuring quality and end user satisfaction is adhered too
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
– Minimum of 1-2 years' experience in the communications motorsport industry is very much preferred however full training will be given to the right individual
– Minimum of 2 years experience of common desktop and server platforms including VMware; MS Windows Server; MS Windows; MS Office; Active Directory; MS Exchange; MS SQL; MS Terminal Services; Client & Server hardware; SAN & Storage hardware.
– A strong emphasis on Networking (Cisco/Juniper/Palo/HP) Formal qualifications or training preferred
– Awareness / qualified in ITIL methodologies
– Prior knowledge of Motorsport based toolsets / applications e.g. McLaren Applied Technologies, motorsport intercom systems etc. would be advantageous
– Knowledge / experienced in Cloud based technologies such as MS Azure / Office 365 / Linux Kubernetes technology
Aston Martin Formula One Team is committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining the most talented individuals, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion, belief, sex or sexual orientation. We strive to be a Team that reflects all the communities with which we engage around the world through diversity in the workplace and promoting an inclusive culture in which all team members are respected, empowered and valued.